House / October 6, 2017
most historically significant spots in Westman.
The first Brandon House was established here in the fall of 1873 by
"Mad" Donald McKay in the service of the Hudson's Bay Company.
It was one of several competing Fur Trade Posts in the "Souris Mouth"
area, which was the hub of economic activity for what is now
Trail Head: 49.680033 / 99.620794
Site: 49.675260 / 99.627355
The clearing created for the post remains
open 200 years after
the operation moved upstream.
The depression visible at the centre is over a metre deep - likely a
The clearing remains free of trees, perhaps because of all the refuse
The trail - rough but quite passable in dry weather.
River landing - note the island - also visible
in the aerial photo and
on Google Earth
Directly accross - barely visible at the centre of this photo, is
Mair's Creek, (also "Five Mile Creek") along which as
many as four other Fur Trade Posts operated between 1873 and 1810.
The view of the river - which is quite close to the fort.
View of the site as we approach from the river.