In 1881, a young pioneer
teacher by the name of James Dale arrived from Uxbridge, Ontario
seeking a new way of life in the much publicized, fledgling province of
Manitoba. His destination was what is now the Glenboro area. He decided
to make his new home there, acquiring N 4-6-14. His wife, formerly
Elizabeth Chambers, and their family came to the home"out west" in 1882
- a log house which was their home for the next 26 years.
James was a scholar and was keenly interested in the progress and
welfare of his community. At plowing time he studied his books while
the horses rested. He taught the first school in southwestern Manitoba,
situated on the southeast corner of 15-16-14, just a mile east of the
later location of the well-remembered Victoria Church. This school was
the original Hecia School and was later moved a mile west and one and
one-half miles north where it remained until the end of rural schools.
From 1902 to 1904, inclusive, James was the Reeve of the Municipality
of Argyle. At the end of his second term he made a trip to England for
the Federal Government to
encourage immigrants to come to Canada. One more trip was made at a
later date for the same reason. He passed away March 8, 1907, at the
age of 67.
Adapted from Come into our Heritage, page 377.
From the Baldur Gazette Sept. 1899:
“1899 – Jas. Dale secured the Red Ticket for wheat at the Belmont show.
Mr. Alfred Woods, Glenboro president of the S. Cypress Agricultural
Society, exhibited wheat and won prizes at the Chicago Worlds Fair. He
was also superintendent of the Junior Seed Growers of Glenboro.”
Mr. Dale also contributed articles to the same Special Historical
Edition of the Gazette.