Fort Mr. Grant
In 1824 Cuthbert Grant built Fort Grant on the Souris River, about two miles south west of Hartney. He was encouraged in this venture by HBC boss, Governor Simpson, who expected Grant to keep American and independent traders out of the Souris Valley.
It is on the north bank of the river, perhaps fifty yards from the water. The cellars and chimney mounds were still visible in 1948.
Fort Grant operated from 1824-1861, part of this time as a winter fort only.