Communities  
Natural Places Historic Places

Butterfield





Butterfield

Until recently, on section 36-1-29, one could still see the remains of an old sod building by the old rutted trail made by Indians and pioneers. This old sod building was built by Dr. Dann, a veterinarian, and in this building, was established the first post office in this area called Butterfield.

It was kept by Henry Dann from 1884-1889 when it was taken over by C. P. Wilcox until 1892. Then, Andrew Maitland kept it until its closure in 1904. Dr. Dann later moved to Deloraine.

Butterfield then received its mail by stage from a point about 25 miles west. Mail came to this point by stage from either Moosomin or Whitewood on the main CPR line, serving other post offices along the way, as was then the custom.

 


This map prepared in 1884 shows the region’s Mail Routes. Notice Melita and Pierson are not on the map. Time change.

Butterfield Post Office by the late H. Bateman


Before a post office was opened at Butterfield in 1884, one of the settlers near Sourisford used to go to Brandon with an ox team about twice a month for everyone's mail and supplies.
It was on one of these trips that a young English man was returning with the oldtimer. He was well armed with a rifle, revolver, knife, etc., as became the traditional "green horn". He spied a small animal and let blare with his full artillery. When he asked the old-timer what animal had just bit the dust, the old-timer told him, "It's a buffalo". The English- man promptly wrote home that he was shooting buffalo - such was the education of the green horn.





Near the site of the Butterfield Post Offiice and Stopping Place on the Boundary Commission Trail.



This mound is likely the site of the first sod hut.



Another view of the crossing.

Butterfield








Butterfield then received its mail by stage from a point about 25 miles west. Mail came to this point by stage from either Moosomin or Whitewood on the main CPR line, serving other post offices along the way, as was then the custom.



MapPlus...

Nearby....

Copley Church