Aerial photos taken around 2000.
|We flew southeast from Brandon,
along the Assiniboine River, past Willow Creek
(1) and the Brandon Rapids at Currie's
We passed the Glen Souris (3) area, the Highway 340 Bridge over the
Assiniboine (4) ,
site of Brandon House (5) before seeing where
the Souris River
(6) enters from the south. We were then in sandhills
country (7) and
sight of Highway #5 (8) and Spirit Sands in Spruce Woods Provincial
Park (9). We turned back
towards Souris Mouth and followed the Souris past the ghost town of
Millford (10) and over Black
Creek (11) to Wawanesa
(12). Just south of
note of another ghost town ... Souris City (13)
, before proceeding to Souris
Bend (14). From the "Bend" we followed the river northeast to Riverside
(15), Bunclody (16) and Souris
(17) before heading home.
** Thanks to Dave August for some of the photos and to Paul August -
**For more photos & info about most of these places visit: "Past &
Present" and/or "The Manitoba
Willow Creek - just south of Chater.
The end of a 2 km stretch of rapids that were quite a challenge for the
steamboats in the 1880's
Twists and turns in the Glen Souris area.
River crossing on Highway #340 between Shilo and Wawsnesa
The site of Brandon House - one of five fur trade posts that operated
near this location - just west of the mouth of the Souris River.
Once the site of the first Land Titles Office in SW Manitoba, later a
Post Office and School called Two Rivers.
Now a Wildlife Management Area and a nice place to hike.
Some typical riverbank sights as you pass through the sandhills
Appoaching Spruce Woods Park.
Millford - Childhood community of Nellie McClung
Black Creek enters the Souris
Souris City site